The Fun of Geocaching
Geocaching is the real-world treasure hunt that’s happening right now, all around you. There are 2,472,787 active geocaches and over 6 million geocachers worldwide.Learn more about geocaching and how you can join the adventure.
Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.
At its simplest level, geocaching requires these 8 steps:
- Register for a free Basic Membership.
- Visit the “Hide & Seek a Cache” page.
- Enter your postal code and click “search.”
- Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
- Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.
- Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
- Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
- Share your geocaching stories and photos online.
There are many other levels to the game. Keep reading the guide to learn more!
- If you take something from the geocache (or “cache”), leave something of equal or greater value.
- Write about your find in the cache logbook.
- Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.
The only necessities are a GPS device or a GPS-enabled mobile phone so that you can navigate to the cache, and aGeocaching.com Membership.